Chocolate Fudge Cake
long as it isn't a
Bake this cake at least 2 days before serving. A rich dense
that improves in taste and texture upon standing.
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
6 Tbsp. strong, brewed coffee
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
3/4 lb. butter at room temperature (3 sticks)
1 lb. dark brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. flour
6 large eggs
Whipped heavy cream, optional
1. Place baking rack in center of oven and preheat to 350
Butter a 10 in. springform pan.
2. In double boiler, over simmering water, melt chocolate with
Remove from heat and when slightly cool, add vanilla. Stir.
The melted chocolate and coffee may form a thick paste, but in
incorporates easily into the batter when added.
3. In large bowl cream butter, brown and white sugars with
or standing mixer. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add yolks one at a time to sugar mixture, beating well after
5. Add chocolate mixture to batter and mix well. Stir
in flour mixing only
6. Beat egg whites until stiff and glossy. Fold into
chocolate mixture, being careful
not to deflate egg whites.
7. Turn batter into prepared springform pan. Smooth top with
spatula. Bake for
one hour or until top springs back when lightly touched.
8. Remove from oven and cover top of cake with aluminum foil
top from hardening.
9. When cake is cool, store covered in baking pan until ready to
Do not refrigerate.
10. At serving time, remove sides of springform pan and place
cake on platter.
Dust the top lightly with confectioners' sugar. Top each
portion, if desired, with
a dollop of whipped cream
Yield: 12 servings
to FANCY FOODS Index here
to CAKES & PIES Index here
to MAIN GROWLIES Index here