Frozen Fruit Salad
4 (1 lb. 4oz) cans crushed pineapple
2 (1 lb.) cans sliced peaches
2 c. white seedless grapes halved, or 2 (1 lb. 4 oz.) cans
1 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, cut in eighths
1/2 lb. (30) large marshmallows, quartered
2 tsp. crystallized ginger, finely chopped (optional)
1 envelope (1 tbsp.) unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
2 quarts heavy cream, whipped; or 10 pkgs dessert topping mix, whipped;
1 qt heavy cream and 5 pkgs. dessert topping mix
3 cups mayonnaise (for salad)
1. Drain fruit; save 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice. Cut peaches in 1/2 inch cubes.
Combine fruit, marshmallows and ginger. Soften gelatin in cold water.
2. Heat pineapple juice to boiling. Add gelatin; stir to dissolve. Add
orange and lemon juice, sugar and salt; stir to dissolve.
Chill until mixture starts to thicken.
3. When mixture starts to thicken, add fruit mixture and nuts. Fold in
whipped cream and mayonnaise. Makes 9 quarts
4. Spoon into quart cylinder cartons (paper, plastic, or metal) Cover and freeze.
5. To serve, remove from freezer and thaw enough to slip out of carton.
Cut in 1 inch slices. Serve salad on lettuce. garnish with cherries.
For dessert, top with whipped cream.
Each quart makes 6 to 8 servings.
TWO VARIATIONS: Substitute 1 1/2 cups ground raw cranberries or 3 (1
lb.) pkgs. frozen whole cranberries for cherries. Thaw, drain strawberries
Substitute juice for some of orange and pineapple juices.