Philled Phyllo Pastries
Phyllo Pastries with Smoked Turkey
1 c Mushrooms; minced
2 cl Garlic; minced
1/4 c Onion; minced
1/4 c Sherry
1 ts Olive oil
3 tb Parsley; minced
1/2 c Feta cheese; crumbled
1/4 c Low fat mozzarella cheese grated
1/4 ts Dried oregano
1/4 ts Dried thyme
1/4 lb Smoked turkey or ham; finely minced, trimmed of fat
15 Sheets of phyllo dough
1/3 c Unsalted butter; melted
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute mushrooms,
garlic, and onion in sherry and olive oil until soft. Add parsley, feta,
mozzarella, oregano, thyme, and turkey. Remove from heat.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil two 9- by 12-inch
3. Lay filo dough on a clean, dry surface. Cut each sheet in half
widthwise to make 30 smaller sheets. Stack them evenly on top of each other,
and cover with a piece of plastic wrap and a slightly dampened dish towel
as you do the next step.
4. Butter 1 sheet and cut into 3 long strips (use scissors). Lay
the 3 strips on top of each other. Place about 2 tablespoons of filling
in the lower right section near the edge. Fold bottom right corner of filo
over filling to meet left edge, creating a small triangle. Continue folding
pastry, as you would a flag, until you reach the top. You will end up with
a triangle-shaped pastry.
5. Lightly butter top of filled triangle and place on prepared
baking sheet. Repeat process until all the filling has been used. Pastries
can be frozen on a cookie sheet and then stored in
a freezer container at this point.
6. Bake pastries until golden (20 minutes). Serve warm.
Makes 30 pastries.
to APPETIZER Index here
to GROWLIES Index here